Recently viewed recipes...
Dietitian Approved Recipes
LEMON SPARKLER COOKIES
RatingNot yet rated.
0 Ratings | 0 Comments
Author: Chris Scheuer, Café Sucre Farine Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
Avocado replaces half of the butter in these festive cookies that have a citrus “spark”. Rolling the cookies in colored sanding sugar gives these soft cookies a nice crunch. Using a tip from our Registered Dietitian, we replaced half the fat in these cookies with equal amounts of fresh avocado to increase the fruit intake. By substituting avocado, the nutritional value of the baked good is enhanced with the fruit’s contribution of nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, along with “good fats” (poly and monounsaturated fats). Additionally, the overall calories in a recipe can be reduced by substituting avocado for an ingredient like butter. Two tablespoons of avocado has 50 calories, whereas two tablespoons of butter total 204 calories.
mashed ripe, Fresh California Avocado
lemons, zest only
Red, white, and blue sanding sugars for decorating
2 cookies per serving
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Place the butter and avocado into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth. Add the sugar and the lemon zest and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, mixing well, then the extract and lemon juice. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a Tbsp. to measure, scoop the dough (it will be sticky) into balls. Roll each ball into the sanding sugars, covering the entire ball. Place the sugar-coated dough balls on the prepared baking sheets spacing 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten each ball.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes until the edges are set, but middles are still soft to the touch. Let cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely.
Serving Suggestion: You may mix all three of your sanding sugar colors together, or make separate red, white, and blue cookies. Image shows cookies with white sanding sugar only.
Beverage pairing: Nice with a cup of hot tea.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 160; Total Fat 6 g (Sat 3 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0 g, Mono 1.5 g); Cholesterol 25 mg; Sodium 190 mg; Potassium 50 mg; Total Carbohydrates 26 g; Dietary Fiber 1 g; Total Sugars 14 g; Protein 2 g; Vitamin A 157 (IU); Vitamin C 3 mg; Calcium 7 mg; Iron 0.8 mg; Vitamin D 5 (IU); Folate 35 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.028 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Rate this Recipe
Login or Register to rate this recipe.