Jerry's Chunky Guacamole
2012 California Avocado "All American Recipe Contest" Second Prize Winner! This refreshing take on Guacamole is a big hit at parties! In this recipe you don't crush the avacados, rather you dice them in the shells before scooping them into the dish!
||perfectly ripe California avocados (Should give a little when you squeeze gently)
||small vine ripe tomatoes
||scallions (spring onions), sliced
||chopped fresh cilantro
||lime, juiced (or to taste)
||up to 1 table spoon of Hot Green Salsa or if not available use 3 slices of pickled jalapeño peppers finely chopped. Discard seeds! (Use from a jar)
||coarse salt Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the tomatoes in quarters. Remove inside pulp and seeds and discard. Finely dice the reserved tomatoes and drain before adding to a medium sized non-reactive mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped scallions. (Use about half of the green part as well as the white part.)
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove seeds. Then cut cris-crosses about 1/8 to1/4 inch apart while still inside the skin. When you scoop the avocado from the shells with a big spoon the avocados are already diced.
- Gently stir in lime juice, Salsa or jalapeños, salt and ground black pepper. Mix well but do not mash the avocados.
- Cover with cling wrap and push the wrap directly down onto the guacamole to prevent oxidation browning and chill for 6-8 hours before serving.