Spinach Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon, Oranges, Red Onion, and Avocado
Fresh spinach, orange segments, peppers and red onion make a colorful base for this tasty California Avocados and Copper River Salmon salad that comes together in just 20 minutes.
||extra-virgin olive oil
||kosher or sea salt
||Fresly gound pepper
||(about 6-oz.) lightly packed baby spinach leaves
||thinly sliced red onion
||red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, deribbed, and cut into long, thin slices
||navel oranges, peeled and white pith removed, cut into segments
||Copper River salmon fillets (about 5 oz. each), skin and pin bones removed
||Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, and cut into 16 thin wedges
Remember to check the label when you shop.
California Avocado season is winding down! Learn more
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Place the spinach, onion, and bell pepper in a large salad bowl. Put the oranges in a small bowl.
- Season the salmon on all sides with a little salt and pepper. Place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the remaining olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the salmon, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn the salmon and cook until the fillets are almost opaque throughout, but still very moist, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125 to 130 degrees F, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm plate and set aside while you toss the salad.
- To serve, add the orange segments to the salad bowl, give the dressing a last-minute shake, and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Arrange the salad on 4 dinner plates. Place a salmon fillet in the center, on top of the salad, garnish each salad with 4 slices of avocado, and serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 580; Total Fat 41 g (Sat 6 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 7 g, Mono 26 g); Cholesterol 80 mg; Sodium 390 mg; Total Carbohydrates 25 g; Dietary Fiber 11 g; Protein 32 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.