Recently viewed recipes...
See all the recipes in these popular categories!
- Guacamole & Dips
- Salads & Dressings
- Quick and Easy
- Sandwiches, Burgers & Wraps
- Gluten Free
- Dietitian Approved
FISH TACOS WITH CALIFORNIA AVOCADO, GRAPEFRUIT AND TOASTED ANCHO SALSA
Rating4 of 5 9
9 Ratings | 0 Comments
Author: Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission, Copyright © 2009, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission and developed by a Featured Chef
Fish Tacos Pacific halibut fillet
Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
(6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa
medium Ancho chiles, wiped clean, stemmed and seeded
pink grapefruit, chilled
ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
bunch chives, chopped
freshly squeezed orange juice
freshly squeezed lime juice
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
- California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa: Toast Ancho chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown. Turn frequently to avoid scorching. Slice toasted chiles into 1-inch strips, then into a fine julienne.
- Slice ends off grapefruit and stand the fruit upright on your work surface. Cut away peel and membrane, exposing fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the grapefruit sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
- Cut grapefruit segments and avocados into ½-inch dice. Toss with toasted Ancho chiles and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir in reserved grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- Fish Tacos: On the stovetop, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare a medium-hot grill. Drizzle halibut with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove fish from grill, cool slightly, and pull apart into large flakes.
- Place warm tortillas on a work surface. Line each with a piece of lettuce and chunks of fish.
- Top each with a generous spoonful of California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa. Serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Nutrition information per serving
For the California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa:
Per serving: 147 calories; 10.6 grams fat (1.3 sat, 7.3 mono, 1 poly);
0 mg cholesterol; 269 mg sodium; 14 grams carbohydrate; 2.5 grams fiber;
2.3 grams protein
For the Fish Tacos:
Per serving: 304 calories; 8 grams fat (1 sat, 4 mono, 2 poly);
41 mg cholesterol; 299 mg sodium; 28 grams carbohydrate; 3 grams fiber;
30 grams protein
Rate this Recipe
Login or Register to rate this recipe.