- Heat the canola oil in a saucepot. Add the quinoa and toast, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Add the onions, garlic, and oregano, and stir until aromatic.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt and adjust the seasonings with pepper. Cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Place on a sheet pan to cool. Once cool, place the quinoa in a bowl and fold in the cucumbers, tomatoes, cooked beans, onions, mint, jalapeños, and cilantro.
- Season with lime. Gently fold in the avocado.
Yields: 2 Cups of Fruits and Vegetables and Beans per Serving . Color Group(s): Green, White, Red
Prep Time: Assumes cooking quinoa while cutting vegetables Cook Time: Assumes tossing together
To serve: Place 1 heaping tablespoon in an endive leaf.
Note: Any kind of bean or legume can be substituted for the tepary beans.
Recipe developed by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service for Produce for Better Health Foundation. Recipes are based on concepts developed by chefs attending Produce First!
All PBH endorsed recipes meet nutrition standards that maintain fruits and vegetables as healthy foods. Optional ingredients such as salt and pepper listed “as desired” are not included in nutritional analysis.