A vegan, hearty and nutritious fruit and veggie-packed breakfast with a cholesterol-free eggless scramble. Provides an excellent source of protein (24% DV).
Tofu-Vegetables & Avocado Breakfast Scramble
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3/4||cup||yellow onion, diced|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|3||baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, stems removed and sliced|
|1||cup||red bell pepper, diced|
|14||oz.||organic tofu, (1 package), extra firm*|
|1||cup||kale leaves, chopped|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, and sauté the onions until lightly golden.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, and red pepper, and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.
- Add the turmeric and pepper and mix to combine with the vegetables.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and crumble the tofu into the vegetable mixture.
- Cook until tofu is heated through (about 3 minutes), and the mixture is well-combined.
- Add the kale and cook until it is slightly wilted.
- Dice half of the avocado, add to mixture along with salt; taste and adjust seasonings, adding additional salt, pepper, and turmeric as needed. Divide among plates.
- Slice remaining avocado and place on top of the scramble.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with whole grain toast or wrapped in a whole grain tortilla if desired for breakfast, brunch, or a meatless dinner.
Beverage Pairing: Coffee, tea, or seltzer water with a generous splash of 100% orange or grapefruit juice.
*Drained well and pressed for about 30 minutes to remove any moisture.
**Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 83 mcg; Vitamin C 58 mg; Calcium 102 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 63 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 60%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10%; Vitamin D 0%