Penne pasta is tossed with balsamic-roasted vegetables then topped with creamy Fresh California Avocados. Excellent source of Vitamin C. Good source of Vitamin A and Iron.
Pasta With Oven Roasted Vegetables and Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced|
|1||medium red onion, sliced into crescents|
|1||leek (white part only) thinly sliced, rings separated|
|1||medium red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1||medium yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces|
|1||Chinese eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and sliced|
|3||Tbsp.||balsamic vinegar, divided|
|5||medium cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|8||oz.||uncooked penne pasta, cooked according to package directions|
|1/2||cup||salt-reduced, fat free vegetable broth|
|1||Tbsp.||chopped fresh basil leaves|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 16 slices|
|As needed||Fresh basil leaves, for garnish|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In large roasting pan (bottom of broiler pan works well) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, combine all vegetables.
- In small bowl, blend 2/3 of the balsamic vinegar with the, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Roast in pre-heated 375 degrees F oven for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove vegetables from oven and pour on remaining balsamic vinegar.
- In large bowl, toss together cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, broth, and basil. Portion into individual low-sided pasta bowls.
- Place two slices avocado and a fresh basil leaf on top of pasta.
Serving Suggestion: Top with grilled tofu for a main-dish vegan pasta, or add sliced cooked chicken for a non-vegetarian meal.
Beverage Pairings: Try with a glass of Pinot Grigio.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 831 (IU); Vitamin C 40 mg; Calcium 43 mg; Iron 1.8 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 108 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.11 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10%