Tangy blue cheese spread, caramelized onions and grilled avocado slices add exceptional flavor to this juicy, seasoned burger.
Grilled Avocado BLT Burger
Total Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
IngredientsCaramalized Chipotle Onions 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced 1 Tbsp. hot sauce 1 Tbsp. beef broth 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar 1 Tbsp. oil 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar Point Reyes Blue Cheese Spread 6 1/2 oz. light garlic-and-herbs spreadable cheese 4 oz. Point Reyes blue cheese or other favorite blue cheese, crumbled Patties 1 lb. ground chuck 1 lb. ground sirloin 2/7 cup minced sweet onion 1/4 cup Zinfandel 3 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano, thyme, and basil (any combination) 1 Tbsp. hot sauce 1 1/2 tsp. spicy seasoned salt As needed Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack 12 Fresh California Avocado Slices As needed Balsamic vinegar, for brushing on the avocado slices As needed Spicy seasoned salt, for sprinkling on the avocado slices 12 pre-cooked bacon slices 6 soft Kaiser rolls, split 6 romaine lettuce leaves 6 large tomato slices (1/4-inch thick)
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
To make the caramelized onions:
- Combine the onion, hot sauce, broth, vinegar, oil, garlic, and brown sugar in a 10-inch nonstick, fire-proof skillet, cover with a lid, and place on the grill rack.
- Cook the onion mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove pan and set aside.
To make the spead, combine the cheeses in a fire-proof saucepan, cover, and set aside.
To make the patties:
- Combine the chuck, sirloin, onion, Zindandel, herbs, hot sauce, and seasoned salt in a large bowl.
- Handling the meat as little possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium.
- Meanwhile, place the saucepan with the cheese spread on the outer edge of the rack to warm the cheese mixture just until it reaches a very soft, spreading consistency.
- Remove the the saucepan from the grill and set aside.
- During the final minutes of grilling the patties, brush the avocado slices with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a seasoned salt.
- Arrange on a rimmed nonstick perforated grilling pan coated lightly with oil and grill alongside the patties for 1 to 2 minutes, turning as necessary.
- During the final 30 seconds, add the bacon slices to the pan.
- When the avocados are nicely grilled and the bacon is crisp, remove from the grill.
- When the patties are cooked, remove from the grill, stacking to keep warm.
- Place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the burgers:
- Spread a generous amount of the cheese mixture over the cut sides of the rolls.
- On each roll bottom, place a lettuce leaf, a tomato slice, a patty, an equal portion of the caramelized onions, 2 avocado slices, and 2 bacon slices.
- Add the roll tops and serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados