Tangy blue cheese spread, caramelized onions and grilled avocado slices add exceptional flavor to this juicy, seasoned burger.
Grilled Avocado BLT Burger
|Caramalized Chipotle Onions|
|1||large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh garlic|
|1||Tbsp.||dark brown sugar|
|Point Reyes Blue Cheese Spread|
|6 1/2||oz.||light garlic-and-herbs spreadable cheese|
|4||oz.||Point Reyes blue cheese or other favorite blue cheese, crumbled|
|2/7||cup||minced sweet onion|
|3||Tbsp.||minced fresh oregano, thyme, and basil (any combination)|
|1 1/2||tsp.||spicy seasoned salt|
|As needed||Vegetable oil, for brushing on the grill rack|
|12||Fresh California Avocado Slices|
|As needed||Balsamic vinegar, for brushing on the avocado slices|
|As needed||Spicy seasoned salt, for sprinkling on the avocado slices|
|12||pre-cooked bacon slices|
|6||soft Kaiser rolls, split|
|6||romaine lettuce leaves|
|6||large tomato slices (1/4-inch thick)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
To make the caramelized onions:
- Combine the onion, hot sauce, broth, vinegar, oil, garlic, and brown sugar in a 10-inch nonstick, fire-proof skillet, cover with a lid, and place on the grill rack.
- Cook the onion mixture for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove pan and set aside.
To make the spead, combine the cheeses in a fire-proof saucepan, cover, and set aside.
To make the patties:
- Combine the chuck, sirloin, onion, Zindandel, herbs, hot sauce, and seasoned salt in a large bowl.
- Handling the meat as little possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil.
- Place the patties on the rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 5 to 7 minutes on each side for medium.
- Meanwhile, place the saucepan with the cheese spread on the outer edge of the rack to warm the cheese mixture just until it reaches a very soft, spreading consistency.
- Remove the the saucepan from the grill and set aside.
- During the final minutes of grilling the patties, brush the avocado slices with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with a seasoned salt.
- Arrange on a rimmed nonstick perforated grilling pan coated lightly with oil and grill alongside the patties for 1 to 2 minutes, turning as necessary.
- During the final 30 seconds, add the bacon slices to the pan.
- When the avocados are nicely grilled and the bacon is crisp, remove from the grill.
- When the patties are cooked, remove from the grill, stacking to keep warm.
- Place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
To assemble the burgers:
- Spread a generous amount of the cheese mixture over the cut sides of the rolls.
- On each roll bottom, place a lettuce leaf, a tomato slice, a patty, an equal portion of the caramelized onions, 2 avocado slices, and 2 bacon slices.
- Add the roll tops and serve.