California Avocado Summer Rolls
|12||spring roll wrappers|
|24||Bibb lettuce leaves|
|9||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, quartered and sliced lengthwise in thirds*|
|3/4||cup||Thai basil leaves|
|3||cups||Pickled Vegetable Mixture (recipe follows)|
|3||cups||cooked and cooled rice vermicelli noodles|
|1 1/2||cups||House Sambal (recipe follows)|
|Pickled Vegetable Mixture (Yield: 3 cups)|
|2 1/2||cups||champagne vinegar|
|1 1/2||cups||Green onion, sliced|
|1 1/2||cups||cucumber, julienned|
|House Sambal (Yield: 1-½ cups)|
|1 1/2||cups||Fresno chilies, stems removed|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place carrots, green onions, and cucumber in a heat proof bowl.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, coriander, chili flakes, and bay leaf in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables and allow to cool for 2 hours at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Combine all ingredients in a commercial blender. Process on low speed for coarse texture.
- Working one at a time, moisten a spring roll wrapper with water until it is pliable and easy to work with.
- Place 2 Bibb lettuce leaves on the wrapper, 1 inch from the edge closest to you. Layer on 3 avocado slices, 1 tablespoon of Thai basil, 1 tablespoon of mint, ¼ cup pickled vegetable mixture, and ¼ cup cooked rice vermicelli.
- Starting with the edge closest to you, tightly roll the spring roll. Trim ¼” off each end, then cut into 6 equal pieces. Repeat with remaining spring roll wrappers.
- Plate each roll (6 pieces) standing up and serve with 2 tablespoons of the house sambal.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.