Fresh California Avocado adds a creamy touch to garden-fresh Bruschetta.
Bruschetta with California Avocado and Basil
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||to 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1/2||lb.||Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise and diced|
|1/4||cup||diced red onion|
|1||Tbsp.||chopped fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish|
|1||to 2 medium cloves garlic, minced|
|As needed||Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste|
|1||sourdough baguette (about 10 oz.), diagonally cut into 1/2-inch slices and lightly toasted|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Thinly slice half of the avocados, then cut the slices in half crosswise. Reserve.
- Dice the remaining avocado.
- In medium bowl, lightly combine the diced avocado, tomatoes, onion, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and salt.
- Top each slice of toasted bread with 2 or 3 of the reserved avocado slices. Top with about 1 heaping Tbsp. of the tomato-avocado mixture.
- Garnish each with small leaf of basil, if desired.
By placing the sliced avocado on the toasted bread first the tomato-avocado mixture stays on the bread better and is deliciously moist. If you prefer a drier bruschetta omit half the avocado.
Also try the tomato-avocado mixture over pasta, rice, grilled chicken or beef.
Try with a glass of Merlot.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 317 IU; Vitamin C 9 mg; Calcium 10 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 43 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 2%; Iron 8%