Pump up your basic tostada with fresh California Avocados and jumbo shrimp.
|Cook Time:||15 min|
|Total Time:||55 min|
- 0.750¾ cup beer
- 3.0003 bay leaves
- 0.500½ tsp. celery seeds
- 0.500½ tsp. cayenne
- 0.500½ tsp. salt
- 0.500½ lb. domestic, wild-caught jumbo shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 2.0002 ripe, fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1.0001 Roma tomato, finely diced
- 0.250¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1.0001 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1.0001 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 0.500½ bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1.5001 ½ limes, juiced
- 3.0003 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 0.000 Salt, to taste
- 0.000 Ground black pepper, to taste
- 0.000 Canola oil, for frying
- 4.0004 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 4.0004 romaine lettuce leaves, finely julienned
- Combine beer, bay leaves, celery seeds, cayenne and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until just turning pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from liquid, cool to room temperature, and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked shrimp with avocado, tomato, onion, carrot, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir gently, taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Chill thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, pour oil to a depth of ½-inch in a small pan for frying. Fry the tortillas on both sides until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, divide julienned lettuce evenly between each crispy corn tortilla. Top with avocado shrimp mixture and serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, www.bordergrill.com.
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 420; Total Fat 30 g (Sat 3.5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 5 g, Mono 20 g); Cholesterol 115 mg; Sodium 550 mg; Potassium 740 mg; Dietary Fiber 6 g; Protein 19 g; Vitamin A 2113 IU; Vitamin C 26 mg; Calcium 96 mg; Iron 3.7 mg; Vitamin D 86 IU; Folate 100 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.8 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 46%; Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.