Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission.
|Preparation:||4 hrs 0 min|
|Cook Time:||25 min|
|Total Time:||4 hrs 25 min|
- 4.0004 (6 oz.) boneless chicken thighs or breasts, with skin
- 0.000 Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 0.250¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.250¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1.0001 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1.0001 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 4.0004 scallions, trimmed
- 0.000 Pickled Tomato Salsa (see make-ahead recipe below)
- 2.0002 ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 2.0002 cup cooked brown basmati rice
Pickled Tomato Salsa
- 1.0001 lb. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut in quarters
- 0.500½ bunch scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2.0002 Serrano chiles, with seeds, thinly sliced in rounds
- 0.500½ cup white vinegar
- 2.5002 ½ Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2.0002 tsp. salt
- 4.0004 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1.0001 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2.0002 tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 2.0002 tsp. cracked black peppercorns
- 2.0002 tsp. ground cumin
- 1.0001 tsp. cayenne
- 0.500½ tsp. turmeric
- 0.500½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a shallow, non-reactive dish, season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and cumin in a small bowl. Brush mixture on scallions and pour remainder over chicken, tossing to evenly coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Beginning with skin side toward the heat source, broil or grill chicken until just cooked through, about 12 minutes per side for thighs and about 9 minutes per side for breasts. Grill or broil scallions about 2 minutes per side.
- Toss Pickled Tomato Salsa with diced avocados and reserve until chicken is cooked.
- To serve, arrange grilled chicken over a bed of basmati rice. Mound avocado salsa mixture on top of chicken. Garnish with grilled scallions. Serve immediately.
Pickled Tomato Salsa
- In a large bowl, toss tomatoes with scallions and chiles.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Add brown sugar and salt, and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Measure ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cracked peppercorns, cumin, cayenne and turmeric onto a plate and place near stove. In another medium saucepan, heat oil over moderate heat until just smoking. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until aromas are released, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture. Immediately pour over reserved tomato mixture. Stir to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or several days.
- Before serving, remove tomatoes from juices, roughly chop, and return to pickling liquid.
Note: To peel tomatoes, remove the cores and score an X on the underside. Blanch for 15 seconds in boiling water and immediately plunge into iced water to prevent continued cooking. Peel with a paring knife.
Pickled Tomato Salsa may be made up to 3 days in advance and reserved until ready to use.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition information per serving
Per Serving: 640 calories; 36.5 grams fat (6.3 sat, 22 mono, 5 poly); 119 mg cholesterol; 243 mg sodium; 4.75 grams fiber