- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Split the baguettes in half lengthwise.
- Grill the sausages on both sides until they are heated through, about 9 minutes total; remove from the grill.
- Grill the baguette halves, cut sides down, until they are toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove the bread from the grill.
- While the sausages are grilling, thinly shave the fennel bulb with a knife. In a bowl, combine the shaved fennel and arugula, then dress with the squeezed the lemon, olive oil and salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Smear a layer of Fennel Mayonnaise on the bottom half of each baguette. Place the shaved fennel arugula mixture over the mayo, dividing it evenly among the baguettes. Place a portion of grilled chorizo on top of each.
- Arrange half of a sliced avocado on top of the chorizo. Cover each sandwich with the top half of the baguette, then slice each sandwich in half and serve.
Note: Be sure to use Spanish chorizo, which is cured and fully cooked.
- Combine the yolk, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice and fennel seed in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Slowly add the oil while the machine is running until the mixture thickens and emulsifies.
- Season with salt, to taste and refrigerate until use.
Tip: Store the leftover Fennel Mayonnaise in the refrigerator for a day or two to use on other sandwiches.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Eric Tanaka