California Avocado and Chicken Summer Sandwich
This sandwich is bursting with fresh summer flavors thanks to the sweet basil pesto, earthy grilled onion and chicken, tangy goat cheese, luscious California Avocado, and slightly bitter greens. Layer them on a loaf of French bread and your picnic lunch is ready to be served!
||boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
||Italian salad dressing
||large red onion, cut into 4 rounds
||extra virgin olive oil
||long French baguette
||goat cheese, softened
||packed cup arugula
||ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
||Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken and salad dressing in a bowl and stir until the chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Brush both sides of the onion with the olive oil and set aside on a plate.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Lightly oil the hot grill. Grill the chicken and onion until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the onions are tender and lightly charred, about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Let the chicken cool slightly; slice into thin strips. Separate the onion into individual rings.
- Slice the baguette all the way through lengthwise. Spread the goat cheese evenly on the bottom half. Top with the chicken, onion, arugula, and avocado. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the pesto on the top half of the baguette. Close the sandwich, cut into individual sandwiches and serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Liz Weiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD: www.MealMakeoverMoms.com
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 410; Total Fat 22 g (Sat 5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 10 g, Mono 2 g); Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 580mg; Potassium 570 mg; Total Carbohydrates 35 g; Dietary Fiber 4 g; Total Sugars 3 g; Protein 22 g; Vitamin A 440 IU; Vitamin C 9 mg; Calcium 64 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 76 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 34%; Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.