Recently viewed recipes...
Receive fresh recipes, hot news, and industry updates every month!Subscribe
POLPETTE OF POTATO WITH AVOCADO, RED ONION AND CUCUMBER SALAD
- Salads & Dressings
Rating4 of 5 3
3 Ratings | 0 CommentsAdd to My Recipes
Author: Recipe courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission and Michael Chiarello, Chief Creative Officer, Real American Restaurants, Sausalito, Calif.
Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
This recipe is a personal favorite of Chef Michael Chiarello.
Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
mozzarella cheese slice, quartered
cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut diagonally into 1/4" thick crescents
medium ripe, Fresh California Avocados, cut into 1/2" dice
large, ripe tomato, cut into bite-sized chunks
small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cover potatoes in large pot with salted water. Bring to boil over high heat; cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well; scatter on a baking sheet; let cool several minutes and place in oven to dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Put through ricer or large holes of box grater.
- Put dried potatoes in bowl; season with salt and pepper. While potatoes are in oven, cut onion into quarters, slice thinly for 1"-long pieces. Place in non-reactive bowl with vinegar and oregano; let stand 15 minutes. Divide potatoes into 8, 2-oz. balls. Pick up one in palm of hand, top with 1/2-oz. cheese and cover with second potato ball. Press and shape potato around cheese to form cake. (May be prepared ahead to this point, covered and refrigerated up to 1 day prior to cooking.)
- Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat, or in electric frying pan set at 350 degrees F. Cook polpette until brown and crispy on both sides, about 20 minutes. While polpettes are cooking, make salad.
- Whisk remaining olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste into onion-vinegar mixture. Add cucumber, avocados and tomato; toss well. Arrange a nest of lettuce on each of 4 plates. Spoon salad over each nest and top with a polpette. Spoon additional dressing over all.
For more Idaho® Potato Recipes visit IdahoPotato.com
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Rate this Recipe
Login or Register to rate this recipe.