Recently viewed recipes...
More recipes like this...
See all the recipes in these popular categories!
- Guacamole & Dips
- Salads & Dressings
- Quick and Easy
- Sandwiches, Burgers & Wraps
- Gluten Free
- Dietitian Approved
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO AND BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
Rating5 of 5 1
1 Ratings | 0 Comments
Author: Faith Wilkes, Daughter of Rudolph Hass on behalf of her parents, Rudolph & Elizabeth Hass Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
Light and fresh, these waffles use Fresh California Avocados instead of butter in the airy batter. The Hass family traditionally topped each waffle with sliced Fresh California Avocados, fresh orange segments two slices of crisp bacon and maple syrup.
batch California Avocado & Buttermilk Waffles (recipe below)
ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
large orange, peeled and cut into 16 segments
California Avocado & Buttermilk Waffles
large eggs, yolk and white separated
all purpose flour
each ripe, Fresh California Avocado
As needed, vegetable oil
- Prepare California Avocado Waffles just before serving(see below).
- Top each serving with ¼ each sliced avocado and 4 wedges of orange.
- Serve with crisp bacon and honey or maple syrup if desired.
California Avocado Waffles Instructions
- In a mixer bowl whip egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the sugar and continue mixing until it forms stiff peaks.
- While eggs whites are beating, separately in a large mixing bowl mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Finely mash avocado. Add egg yolks and stir. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add mashed avocado mixture to dry mixture and stir just until incorporated; there will still be some lumps. Fold in stiff egg whites.
- Brush waffle hot waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil. Pour batter into hot waffle iron one serving at a time, and cook following appliance directions.
- Transfer waffles as cooked onto the rack of a warm oven, single layer, to hold warm while the rest of the batch is cooked.
Serving Suggestions: Instead of serving bacon on the side a piece or two of crumbled crisp bacon can be added on top of the batter before baking the waffle. They are also great topped with pecans before baking. Other seasonal fresh fruits can replace the oranges to accent the avocado fruit topping. Agave syrup is tasty replacement for honey or maple syrup.
Beverage Pairings: Fresh sparkling citrus juice blend, like orange juice mixed with sparkling water then topped with a splash of cranberry juice.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 200; Total Fat 13 g (Sat 2 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1.5 g, Mono 8 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 170 mg; Potassium 620 mg; Total Carbohydrates 11 g; Dietary Fiber 7 g; Total Sugars 1 g; Protein 2 g; Vitamin A 201 (IU); Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 109 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 46 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 10%; Iron 8%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Rate this Recipe
Login or Register to rate this recipe.