California Avocado and Buttermilk Waffles
Light and fresh, these waffles use Fresh California Avocados instead of butter in the airy batter. The Hass family traditionally topped each waffle with sliced Fresh California Avocados, fresh orange segments two slices of crisp bacon and maple syrup.
||batch California Avocado & Buttermilk Waffles (recipe below)
||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced
||large orange, peeled and cut into 16 segments
||California Avocado & Buttermilk Waffles
||large eggs, yolk and white separated
||all purpose flour
||each ripe, Fresh California Avocado
|1 1/10 cup
||As needed, vegetable oil
Remember to check the label when you shop.
California Avocados are NOW in season! Learn More
- Prepare California Avocado Waffles just before serving(see below).
- Top each serving with ¼ each sliced avocado and 4 wedges of orange.
- Serve with crisp bacon and honey or maple syrup if desired.
California Avocado Waffles Instructions
- In a mixer bowl whip egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the sugar and continue mixing until it forms stiff peaks.
- While eggs whites are beating, separately in a large mixing bowl mix together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Finely mash avocado. Add egg yolks and stir. Whisk in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add mashed avocado mixture to dry mixture and stir just until incorporated; there will still be some lumps. Fold in stiff egg whites.
- Brush waffle hot waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil. Pour batter into hot waffle iron one serving at a time, and cook following appliance directions.
- Transfer waffles as cooked onto the rack of a warm oven, single layer, to hold warm while the rest of the batch is cooked.
Serving Suggestions: Instead of serving bacon on the side a piece or two of crumbled crisp bacon can be added on top of the batter before baking the waffle. They are also great topped with pecans before baking. Other seasonal fresh fruits can replace the oranges to accent the avocado fruit topping. Agave syrup is tasty replacement for honey or maple syrup.
Beverage Pairings: Fresh sparkling citrus juice blend, like orange juice mixed with sparkling water then topped with a splash of cranberry juice.