Recently viewed recipes...
Receive fresh recipes, hot news, and industry updates every month!Subscribe
See why avocados are a tasty choice for a healthful diet.LEARN MORE
CARIBBEAN CHICKEN WITH CALIFORNIA AVOCADO-MANGO SALSA
Rating5 of 5 1
1 Ratings | 0 CommentsAdd to My Recipes
Author: Chef John Howie, Seastar in Seattle, WA
Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission, for foodservice use
Whole boneless chicken breasts with skin, 10 to 12 ounces each
Caribbean Dry Rub (recipe follows)
Caribbean Marinade (recipe follows)
Ginger-Coconut Rice (recipe follows)
Spicy Black Bean Broth (recipe follows)
California Avocado Cream (recipe follows)
California Avocado-Mango Salsa (recipe follows)
As needed for garnish - cilantro sprigs
As needed for garnish - sliced California Avocados
CARIBBEAN DRY RUB
- Throughly mix 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup Kosher or sea salt, 1/4 cup dried thyme leaves, 2 teaspoons ground allspice, 2 teaspoons dried Scotch bonnet chiles (or habaneros), 2 teaspoons garlic granules, and 1 teaspoon ground cloves.Yield: 2 cups.
- Thoroughly mix 1 cup frosh lime juice, 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, and 1/3 cup Caribbean Dry Rub. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups olive oil. Yield: 1 quart.
- Thoroughly mix 2-3/4 cups jasmine rice, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic in a large pot with cover; reserve. Heat 3 cups chicken stockand 1/2 cup coconut milk. Pour over rice; cover. Bake in a convection oven or conventional oven until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes. Yield: 2-1/4 quarts.
SPICY BLACK BEAN BROTH
- Sauté 1-1/2 ounces diced bacon in 1 tablespoon olive oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced carrots, 3 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced celery, and 2 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced red onion, and 1 teaspoon chopped garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup dried black beans that have been soaked, 2 quarts chicken stock, 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub, 1/2 teaspoon dried Scotch bonnet chilies. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. (Add boiling water if liquid reduces too fast.) Stir in 1 cup fresh orange juice and 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes with juice; simmer until beans are very tender, 1/2 to 1 hour more. Mixture should have reduced by about half. Puree mixture; strain, discarding solids.
- There should be 2 cups; add chicken stock or reduce, if necessary. Yield: 2 cups.
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO CREAM
- Puree 1 diced California Avocado (8ounces), 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup fresh line juice, 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and 2 teaspoons finely chopped lime zest. Yield:1-1/2 cups.
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO-MANGO SALSA
- Fold together 1 diced mango (12 ounces), 2 diced California Avocados (1 pound), 1/3 cup doced red onion, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, and 2 teaspoons finely chopped orange zest. Yield: 3 cups.
- Loosen skin on each breast; rub 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub into flesh under skin. Pour Caribbean Marinade over breasts; marinate 18 to 24 hours.
- Season 1 breast with 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub. Grill on an indoor or outdoor grill, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade until outdoor chicken is firm to the touch about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhiles, lightly press 3/4 cup hot rice into a cylindrical mold; unmold rice in center of serving plate. Pour about 2-1/2 tablespoons Spicy Black Bean Broth around rice. Dot 2 tablespoons of California Avocado Cream on the plate. When chicken is done, put it on top of the rice. Top with 1/4 cup California Avocado-Mango Salsa. Garnish with sliced avocado and cilantro.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Rate this Recipe
Login or Register to rate this recipe.