California Avocado Beef Patties
Mashed avocado, chile peppers, and onions enliven these moist, lightly spiced hamburgers. They look pan-fried when cooked in a browning skillet.
||1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado
|1 1/2 tsp.
||lemon juice, plus extra as needed
||diced green chili peppers
||egg, lightly beaten
||chopped green onion
||clove garlic, minced or pressed
||lean ground beef
||shredded jack cheese
||hamburger buns, split and toasted butter lettuce leaves
||thin slices tomato
- Halve avocado lengthwise and remove seed; then peel. Slice the avocado and coat pieces with lemon juice; set aside.
- In a bowl, mash remaining avocado half.
- Stir in chile peppers, egg, onion, the remaining lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Add beef and combine thoroughly (mixture will be moist).
- With your hands, shape meat into 4 patties, each about 3/4 inch thick.
- Microwave a 10-inch browning dish or skillet on HIGH (100%) for 4 1/2 minutes.
- Carefully remove dish (the bottom is very hot) to a heat proof surface.
- Place patties in dish. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 3 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Turn patties over. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 2 minutes or until juices run clear when patty is slashed.
- Sprinkle each patty with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Cover with wax paper and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Arrange patties on bottoms of buns and top each patty with lettuce leaves, tomato slice, and a few avocado slices.
- Cover with remaining buns.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.