- 2 (8 to 10 oz.) skirt steaks
- 1 medium, sweet yellow onion, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 small tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 (6-inch) pieces of baguette, sliced in half lengthwise and lightly toasted
- California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread (see make-ahead recipe)
- ½ ripe Fresh California avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Cracked black pepper, for garnish
- About 30 minutes before cooking, remove skirt steaks from refrigerator. Trim any outer pieces of fat or silver skin, but marbling within beef should remain.
- Preheat grill or sauté pan to very hot. Pat skirt steaks dry. Brush steaks and onion and tomato slices with canola oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill or sauté steaks, 2 minutes per side for rare. Allow steak to rest several minutes on a cutting board.
- Meanwhile, on the grill or in the same sauté pan, char the onion slices until just tender, separating into rings. Grill or sauté the tomato slices briefly, until lightly charred and warmed through.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar and thyme. Add grilled onion and tomato slices to vinaigrette mixture and toss gently.
- Spread toasted top halves of baguettes with California Avocado Blue Cheese Spread. Place on the upper level of the grill with the top closed, or under a broiler, until warmed, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Arrange the charred onion and tomato slices on the bottom halves of the baguettes. Slice the steak thinly, at an angle across the grain, and place over the vegetables. Drizzle steak with any leftover balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve sandwiches open-faced, side-by-side on a plate, with thin slices of avocado, thyme sprigs and cracked black pepper for garnish.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Per Serving: 566 calories; 26 grams fat (4.8 sat, 14 mono, 3.3 poly); 88 mg cholesterol; 586 mg sodium; 6.3 grams fiber
No one has commented on this recipe yet.
To share your comments or rate recipes, please sign in to your profile on CaliforniaAvocado.com
View on Classic Site