- 2 Tbsp. finely diced tomato
- 2 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion
- ⅓ Tbsp. + 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 4 Genuine California Avocados (about 2 pounds), peeled and seeded
- 3 cups chopped white onion
- 2 ¼ cups chopped yellow bell pepper
- ¾ cup chopped poblano chile pepper
- 3 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 quart water or chicken stock
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chile powder
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 12 cilantro sprigs
- Queso Fresco or Feta cheese, crumbled for garnish
- Deep fried tortilla strips for garnish
- To make garnish, mix tomato, green onion, 2 teaspoons lime juice, and a large pinch of salt; reserve.
- To make soup, dice avocado.
- Mix with remaining 1/3 tablespoon lime juice; reserve.
- Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in oil over high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with wine; reduce by half.
- Add water or stock, cumin, chile powder, pepper, and salt.
- Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Puree mixture with reserved avocado mixture and cilantro sprigs; thin to desired consistency with additional water or stock. Add additional salt, if necessary.
- Serve hot soup garnished with 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon reserved tomato mixture, and a few broken tortilla chips.
Serving Size = 1 Cup
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Nutrition Information per Serving: 200 calories, 15g of fat, 330mg of sodium, 4g of protein.
This soup is a winner! No dairy and It's a soup served hot. I've shared it with friends and they agree. Goes great with grilled-cheese/anaheim chile sandwiches.
Submitted By: ron - Aug 2, 2010
To share your comments or rate recipes, please sign in to your profile on CaliforniaAvocado.com
View on Classic Site