Homemade Avocado Baby Food
As a mother, you want to feed your baby the highest quality, most nutritious meals you can. That's why many mothers opt to make their own baby food when possible. Here are some facts you might want to know about using avocados for baby food:
What makes avocados appealing to babies?
The avocado's smooth, creamy consistency makes it one of the first fresh fruits a baby can enjoy. Avocados may be mashed and served in a variety of ways and do not require cooking. Mash with a fork to the consistency appropriate for your baby. Get California Avocado Baby food recipes here.
For variety, avocados can be mixed with apple or pear sauce, cooked squash or sweet potatoes.
Source: American Academy of Pediatrics Pediatric Nutrition Handbook.
Do avocados offer nutrients beneficial to babies?
Avocados can be an important part of your baby's growth and development. Fresh avocados are sodium and cholesterol-free. They contribute valuable nutrients including 8% of the recommended Daily Value (DV) for fiber, 6% DV for folate; 4% DV for potassium, 4% DV for vitamin E, 4% DV for Vitamin C, 4% DV for Niacin, 4% DV for B6, 4% DV for Riboflavin, 4% DV for Pantothenic Acid; and 2% DV for iron. A serving of avocado also contains 81 micrograms of the carotenoid lutein and 19 micrograms of beta-carotene. One serving also contains 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain.
Prepare Homemade Baby Food with Fresh California Avocados
Follow these tips...
- Keep all tools and work spaces spotlessly clean, washing with hot, soapy water and rinsing in hot water. Use a dishwasher, if possible
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before peeling
- Avocados may be mashed and served in a variety of ways. They do not require cooking
- Separate baby's portions before adding sugar or seasoning to your family's meal
- Use a blender or food processor to speed preparation. Add formula, juice or cooking water to thin the food
- Start with a thin, smooth, easy-to-swallow puree. As your baby grows and chewing and swallowing reflexes mature, the consistency can be thickened
- Mix mashed avocado with rice cereal
Try our new Baby's First California Avocado recipe. When you make your own baby food with Fresh California Avocados, you can alter the texture exactly to your little one's liking.
Foremost Pediatricians Ranks Avocados #1
Prominent pediatricians and authors Drs. Bill and Jim Sears rank avocados #1 on their Top 10 list of fruits and as an entry on their “Top 12 Family Foods. Visit their website to learn why.
$10,000 in scholarship prizes! Enter your baby for a chance to win.