The second annual California Avocado Avo Babies contest was a great opportunity to get a head start on good eating—and saving for college! We loved seeing this year’s Avo Babies enjoying California Avocados. Thanks to all who participated, from submitting your photos to voting for your favorites. Fan votes decided the Grand Prize Winner, and the California Avocado Commission chose the two First Prize Winners. See the Avo Babies scholarship winners below, and don’t miss out on your chance to participate in the contest next year!
These Avo Babies are are getting a head start on good eating and a chance at saving for college! Vote for your favorite babies enjoying delicious California Avocados, and help them win the Grand Prize Scholarship!
Avocados are an ideal food for all ages! It's never too early to instill good eating habits
—and there's a lot of good in avocados. Their taste and texture appeal to babies. They're versatile. Depending on your baby's age, serve California Avocados mashed alone or mixed with cereal, other blended fruits or veggies. Among other beneficial nutrients, a one-ounce serving of avocado contains 3.5 grams of unsaturated fats, which are known to be important for normal growth and development of the central nervous system and brain.
Dr. Bill Sears, renowned pediatrician, TV personality, author and online pediatrician for parenting.com and son, Dr. Jim Sears, popular lecturer, consultant and co-host of the 2010 Emmy Award-winning informational talk show The Doctors both rank avocados #1 on their Top 10 List of fruits because avocados are nutrient dense, meaning they provide substantial amounts of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients with relatively few calories.
Cast your vote for the California Avocado Avo Babies Grand Prize Winner! You may vote once per photo per 24 hours throughout the voting period.
- Submit entries May 10 to June 17, 2012
- Vote for your favorites June 18 to June 30, 2012
- Look out for the contest winners announcement by July 13, 2012
Fan votes will determine the Grand Prize Winner, so help your favorite Avo Baby win! The California Avocado Commission Judging Panel will choose the two First Prize Winners.
California Avocado Commission
California Avo Babies® Scholarship Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with FACEBOOK®.
By entering, you understand that you are providing your information to California Avocado Commission and not to FACEBOOK®. The information you provide will only be used for the purpose of contacting winners and awarding prizes, unless you have opted to receive communication from California Avocado Commission.
1) Description: California Avocado Commission (the "Sponsor") is offering the "California Avo Babies® Scholarship Contest" (the "Promotion") and will determine winners and award prizes based on a combination of user voting and the decisions of a Judging Panel. The Promotion begins May 10, 2012 at 12:01:01 AM Pacific Time ("PT") and ends on or about July 13, 2012 when the winners will be announced, ("Overall Promotion Period"). The Promotion will be executed according to the following schedule within the Overall Promotion Period.
- The first phase, ("Photo Submission Period") begins May 10, 2012 and ends June 17, 2012 at 11:59:59 PM PT.
- The second phase ("User Voting Period") begins at June 18, 2012 at 12:01:01 AM PT and ends June 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 PM PT.
- The third phase ("Judging Period") takes place simultaneous to the User Voting Period; June 18, 2012 at 12:01:01 AM PT and ends June 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 PM PT.
- Winners determined in the User Voting Period and the Judging Period will be announced on or about July 13, 2012.
2) Eligibility: The Promotion is open to parents and legal guardians who are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia and are eighteen (18) years of age or older at time of Promotion registration. Employees, officers, directors, California Avocado growers and representatives of Sponsor, its affiliated commission/boards, companies and advertising and promotion agencies, and any other company involved with the design, execution or production of this Promotion (collectively the "Promotion Entities"), their immediate families (parent, child, sibling & spouse) and persons living in the same households as such individuals (whether related or not), are not eligible to participate in the Promotion. Void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law, rule or regulation. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
3) Creating Your Entry: Submit a photo of your child eating or enjoying a California Avocado, ("Photo" and all required entry information, "Entry"). Your child must have been born between July 31, 1995 and December 17, 2011, and must have been between the ages of 6 months and 24 months at the time your Photo was taken.
- Photos submitted as part of the 2011 California Avocado Avo Babies® contest are ineligible for entry into the 2012 Avo Babies® contest.
- Your Photo must show your baby eating or enjoying avocado.
- Your Photo must be a .jpg file.
- Do not feature image of any person other than your child.
- Feature only one (1) child in your Photo and ensure the child is appropriately clothed.
- Compose your Photo so that the image of your child (and ideally his/her face) constitutes the majority of the image area.
- Do not include any personal identification in the Photo such as names, addresses, phone numbers or email addresses.
- Do not include any copyrighted images, objects, locations, buildings, paintings, works of art, or brand names or logos, other than the California Avocado brand name or logo. (In Sponsor's sole determination, it has the right to blur and/or edit to remove any potentially infringing image(s).)
- Your Photo: (a) must be totally original and owned by you (i.e. you either took the photo yourself or you have been granted ownership by the photographer), not previously published or appear publicly anywhere else and CANNOT contain any third party copyrighted or proprietary material or otherwise infringe on the intellectual, property or other rights of a third party; (b) must be suitable for general audiences (i.e., may not be obscene, indecent or offensive in any manner to any viewing audience, including but not limited to nudity, pornography, violent or profane depictions) and (c) must not depict or in any way violate either the spirit or letter of any law or regulation.
- Your Photo must not depict Sponsor negatively.
- In Sponsor's sole opinion, Sponsor may or may not choose to post or approve any Photo, for any reason including but not limited to those Photos which do not meet any of these requirements and/or which Sponsor deems negative, offensive or controversial, and such Photos may be disqualified and removed from public view.
- Photos will be reviewed and approved prior to posting. Photos will be posted as submitted. Sponsor will not make any modifications to entries/photos during the Promotion Period, including image rotations, color adjustments or cropping.
4) Entering Your Photo in the Promotion: If you do not yet have a FACEBOOK® account, create your FREE account at http://www.facebook.com/r.php . If you do not yet "like" California Avocado Commission, access http://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaAvocados from your FACEBOOK® account. Then add the page to your FACEBOOK® fan pages by clicking "like" and then click on the Contest link on the left-hand side of the Wall. Complete the entry form with your first and last name, your email address, street address, city, state, zip code, phone number and a brief title for your Photo. You will have the opportunity to subscribe to the California Avocado monthly Recipe Email Newsletter, however, subscribing to the monthly Recipe Email Newsletter is NOT a requirement for entry, nor does it affect the decisions of the Sponsor or its Judging Panel in any way. Follow the instructions at the site to upload your Photo. There is a limit of three (3) Photos per person, provided that each Photo features a different child. There is a limit of (1) Photo per child. In the cases of multiple submissions of photos for any child, only the first Photo submitted will be approved and any subsequent Photos submissions featuring the same child will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject any photos. No inappropriate, indecent or obscene Photos should be submitted. Visitors to the Promotion Website may notify the Sponsor through the "Contact Us" button of any Photos that appear to violate these Official Rules. Sponsor will use its best efforts to exclude any such Photos; however, Sponsor is not a publisher of the Photos it is merely providing a forum for the display of these Photos for voting and judging purposes and, therefore, Sponsor expressly disclaims any and all liability associated with the display of any of the Photos on the Promotion Website.
Without in any way limiting, expanding or amending the Terms of Service at http://www.californiaavocado.com/terms-of-use/, which shall remain in full force and effect, if Sponsor is duly notified that any element of an entrant's Photo infringes upon the rights of another person and/or receives a legally valid request to remove or invalidate the affected Photo because of such infringement, such Photo may be removed and disqualified from the Promotion, as Sponsor may determine in its sole discretion. No entrant will be eligible to receive a prize unless Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that such entrant's Photo has been or can be sufficiently cleared for legal purposes and such entrant has complied with the terms of these Official Rules. By entering the Promotion, you warrant that (a) you are the parent or legal guardian of the child featured in your Photo and as such have the authority to feature your child in the Photo; (b) your child is between the ages six (6) months and twenty-four (24) months at the time the photo was taken and was born between July 31, 1995 and December 17, 2011 (c) you are the owner of your Photo; (d) you are giving Sponsor the right to post your Photo on its website and/or public websites where it maintains accounts and (e) you are assigning all ownership and usage rights, in the Photo, including your child's right of publicity and other rights to use of the child's picture, to Sponsor and granting the Sponsor a royalty free, irrevocable, perpetual and worldwide license to use and display the Photo and use all rights conveyed in connection with the Photo, as Sponsor deems appropriate without compensation of any kind, acknowledgement of or approvals by entrant. Sponsor reserves the right to request of any entrant proof in the form of a state issued document (a) that you are the parent or legal guardian of the child and (b) the age of the child featured in your Photo. Failure to provide requested proof will result in disqualification.
Entries generated by a script, macro or other automated means will be disqualified in Sponsor's sole discretion. Multiple entrants are not permitted to share the same email address. Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different/duplicitous email addresses, the use of a sweepstakes service, the use of multiple identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that entrant's entries and that entrant may be disqualified in Sponsor's sole discretion.
5) User Voting to Determine One (1) Grand Prize Winner: During the User Voting Period, all Photos approved by the Sponsor will be available for review and voting. Cast a vote for your favorite Photo during the User Voting Period. There is a limit of one (1) vote per person per FACEBOOK® account per day during the User Voting Period; a day is defined as the twenty-four hour period beginning at 12:00:00 AM PT and ending at 11:59:59 PM PT. The one (1) Photo receiving the greatest number votes at the conclusion of the User Voting Period will be determined the Grand Prize winner. In the event of a tie at any level, the Sponsor, in its sole opinion, will make the determination among the tying entries.
6) Judging to determine two (2) First Place Winners: All Photos approved by the Sponsor will be reviewed by a panel of Sponsor's marketing team ("Judging Panel") and will be scored and weighted equally on the following points: (a) expression of avocado enjoyment and (b) overall visual appeal including photo quality. Fan votes on FACEBOOK® will not factor in the Judging Panel evaluation. The decisions of the Judging Panel are final and will determine two (2) First Place winners.
7) Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize - $5,000 cash scholarship awarded by check. Two (2) First Prize - $2,500 cash scholarships awarded by check. There are a total of three (3) prizes available with a total value of all prizes of $10,000. All federal, state, local, and other taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the applicable winner.
8) General: Judging and User Voting tabulation will be completed on or about July 2, 2012 and potential winners will be contacted the same day by phone and/or email ("Prize Notification"). The potential winners will be provided with an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liability/Publicity Release (unless prohibited by law), ("Affidavit"). The Affidavit must be returned within five (5) days of provision of the document. In completing the Affidavit the potential winner will be required to provide his/her social security or tax ID number, which will be used solely for the purposes of Sponsor's legal compliance in filing U.S. Tax Form 1099. Potential winner will also be required to send a copy of his/her passport, driver's license, birth certificate or other appropriate documentation (acceptable to Sponsor) as proof of winner's age and residency. Winner also will be required to send a copy of the birth certificate of the child in the winning photos to confirm the child's age and parents' names. Return of Prize Notification and/or the Affidavit as undeliverable will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the prize. Non-compliance with any of these requirements will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the prize. Any unclaimed prizes will not be awarded. ALL TAXES ON THE PRIZE ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
There are no prize substitutions by winners or other options available. Prizes are non-assignable and non-transferable. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Any costs associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided, are the winners' sole responsibility.
All entrants agree to comply fully with each provision in these Official Rules. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Promotion and any person who does not comply with these Official Rules, will be ineligible for any prize(s) and may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If, during any portion of this Promotion, for reasons beyond the Sponsor's control (including, but not limited to, tampering or computer virus infection), the Promotion is not capable of running as originally planned, the Sponsor, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to cancel or modify the Promotion, without liability and to the extent feasible, will determine winners and award prizes among entries received prior to cancellation or modification. Sponsor is not responsible for Internet, computer hardware and software, phone, and other technical errors, malfunctions, and delays. Entries, which are incomplete, inaccurate, irregular, or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules, are void.
9) Right to Use Your Work and Information About You: By submitting an Entry in the Promotion, you: (a) represent and warrant that your Photo is wholly original, not previously published and owned by you, and does not incorporate or include anything that is owned by any third party or would require the consent of any third party and your Entry does not violate any copyright, trademark, publicity right, privacy right or any other right of any third party; (b) represent and warrant that you are the parent or legal guardian of the child appearing in your Photo and the child meets all of the age requirements as set forth is these Official Rules; (c) automatically grant to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, create derivative works from, modify, publish, edit, translate, distribute and display your Photo; (d) agree that upon selection as a winner of any prize, you agree that your Entry and ownership of Photo and all rights thereto, including, without limitation, the exclusive copyright, shall be transferred to and become the property of Sponsor; (e) agree that upon selection as a winner of any prize, in the event your Entry is considered not to be a "work made for hire," you irrevocably assign to Sponsor all right, title, and interest in and to your Photo (including, without limitation, the copyright) in any and all media whether now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity, anywhere in the world, with the right to make any and all uses thereof, including, without limitation, for purposes of advertising or trade; and (f) agree that by submitting an entry, you grant to Sponsor the right to sell and otherwise distribute your Photo on any of its websites or in any of its advertising and/or products without any compensation. The rights granted under this paragraph shall extend to Sponsor, with respect to all entries and all other submitted materials related to the Promotion, including those submitted by non-winners and winners.
By submitting an Entry in any portion of the Promotion, you grant to Sponsor, its affiliated companies the right, except where prohibited by law, to use your name, your child's name and likeness, picture, address (city and state), voice, biographical information, the Photo in your Entry and written or oral statements, for advertising and promotional purposes in promoting or publicizing Sponsor, its products or services, without compensation unless required by law. You shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of your name, picture, likeness, address (city and state), biographical information, or entry. The rights granted under this paragraph shall extend to Sponsor with respect to all entrants in the Promotion, including non-winners and winners.
10) Release of Liability and Issues of Law: By participating, all entrants release Sponsor, its officers, directors, agents, employees and all entities associated with the development and execution of this Promotion from any and all liability with respect to and in any way arising from participating in this Promotion, acceptance or use of prizes. Entrants also agree that Sponsor, its officers, directors, agents, employees and all entities associated with the development and execution of this Promotion are not responsible or liable for any injury or damage to an entrant's or third person's computer related to or resulting from the Promotion, the Entries and/or its prizes. Sponsor, its officers, directors, agents, employees and all entities associated with the development and execution of this promotion are not liable for damage to a user's computer system (including, without limitation, any server failure or lost, delayed or corrupted data or other malfunction) due, either directly or indirectly, to an entrant's participation in the Promotion or downloading of information in connection with the Promotion. The Sponsor reserves the right to modify or cancel the Promotion in the event that any portion of any website used to administer any aspect of the Promotion becomes technically corrupted.
All Federal, state and local laws and regulations are applicable. THE APPLICABLE COURT IN THE COUNTY OF ORANGE, STATE OF CALIFORNIA (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE PROMOTION AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA SHALL GOVERN THE PROMOTION. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THOSE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS. The Promotion is void where restricted or prohibited by law.
13) Information About the Winners: Winners will be announced and posted at http://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaAvocados, and http://www.CaliforniaAvocado.com/avo-babies on or about July 13, 2012. For a list of the winners by mail, send a self addressed stamped envelope postmarked no later than July 30, 2012 to: California Avo Babies Scholarship Contest Winners, PO Box 12055, Scottsdale, AZ 85267-2487.
14) Communication - Any questions or comments regarding this Promotion should be directed to California Avocado Commission via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
15) Sponsor: California Avocado Commission, 12 Mauchly, STE L, Irvine, CA 92618-6305
16) Promotion Administrator: Extra Mile Marketing, 16611 N. 91st Street, STE 106 Scottsdale, AZ 85260-1523
This Promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with Facebook.